Re: Success stories - Number one

Am 14.09.2022 um 18:43 schrieb Dan Ritter:
> The system you have constructed is a kind of configuration
> management tool. Existing tools like this include salt, ansible,
> puppet, chef, bcfg, cfengine, and more specialized things like
> vagrant

Hi Dan!

A very kind, even somewhat flattering comparison ... and a biased
point-of-view, as they are serving a much different purpose, i feel.

Back in the days, i had a look at some of them, because their goal of
creating a reproducible machine setup was very much to my liking. But
the amount of work, they would have caused by far exceeded the amount of
energy, i - as a stand-alone retiree - was willing to put into anyone of
them.

At least, i know the benefits, that are coming through standardisation,
and i am creating virtual machines as clones from a master, i built for
that purpose, even documenting the differences. But that is far from
what those tools do and are intended to do. Finally, even nowadays i
feel, that for a non-company, like me, they are creating excessive
demands in terms of working hours.

So let us not name my little script "configuration management tool",
that would be, as if you would call "a grain of sand" "a concrete
building". ;-)

So long, DdB