Re: usr-is-merged package in bullseye?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022, Sven Joachim wrote:

I might be misunderstanding but I was expecting bookworm to get the
dependency init-system-helpers -> usrmerge imminently. Sid gets it, I
think, on Thursday.

That is true.

That's why I want usr-is-merged on my bullseye systems. I'll backport
from bookworm.

You could, but why?

Because I don't want to drag in the dependencies of usrmerge for a no-op
when I could install usr-is-merged instead which has no dependencies.

Yes, on a migration you can add bookworm sources, apt-get install
usr-is-merged, and then do the upgrade, but I'll probably forget, I've
still got a couple of machines on buster to deal with first.

There seems to be some confusion here.  To actually convert your system
to a merged /usr you need to install the usrmerge package which does the
work, and is already available in bullseye and buster.  The

Almost all my systems are already merged. I did them myself without
using usrmerge or they were built from scratch using debootstrap.

Anyone else who has built a stable system using debootstrap will be in
the same position.

I don't know if debootstrap installs usr-is-merged on bookworm.

usr-is-merged package is just for convenience, and to ensure that the
system actually has a merged /usr (it will fail to install otherwise, so
if you have an unmerged /usr you need to install usrmerge first).

It's not just for convenience, it will fulfill the upcoming dependency
of init-system-helpers.

I just like my systems to be as clean as possible, no other reason, and
some extra perl libraries that will never be used even once isn't
something I want if I can avoid it.

Cheers,
      Sven