Re: Should a serious bug have made in into bullseye 11.5?

On Mon 12 Sep 2022 at 03:36:46 (+0100), Tim Woodall wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2022, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 09:23:17PM +0100, Tim Woodall wrote:
> > > Should https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1017944 have
> > > made it into debian 11.5? I thought serious bugs shouldn't make it into
> > > stable?
> >
> > Bugs have to be discovered and reported.  If nobody found this during
> > the bullseye testing cycle, then it's quite likely bullseye would ship
> > with this bug.
> >
> > I note that the bug report was reported August 22, 2022, over one year
> > after the bullseye release.  Maybe this package just doesn't have many
> > users, or the bug didn't affect most of its users.
> >

> The buggy package was added to bullseye with the 11.5 point release on
> 2022-09-10. It wasn't present in 11.4 whose version of this package
> worked. It was added to proposed-updates on 2022-08-06.
>
> Based on the comments in thw bug it looks like the breakage was due to
> the changing to use debhelper 13 instead of 10.

One way to read this is that a misfeature had been in grub-xen-host
since very early on. If it relies on not stripping the symbols from
any files, then those files' names should really have been placed
in the exception list that gets handed to dh_strip:

  -Xitem, --exclude=item
    Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from
    being stripped. You may use this option multiple times to build up
    a list of things to exclude.

As it was, there's was reliance on debhelper's guesswork, something
that had been reported as poor in 1999 (#35733), and improved in 2017
(protected by compatibility level 10).

It's beyond me to work out exactly when compatibility 10 becomes
deprecated, how strong deprecation actually is, what pressure
there is to increase the level in grub-xen-host, and why its level
had fallen so far behind.

Cheers,
David.