Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 03:22:27PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 20 Aug 2022 at 09:06:54 -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> > Usually upstream projects want and expect users to report bugs to
> > the distro, not to the upstream project, for many good reasons that I
> > need not explain here.
>
> You would have to explain it for my benefit because I am not familiar
> with that procedure.

When encountering a bug in a Debian package, the typical end user has
no way of knowing whether the bug is in the upstream program, or in the
patches added by Debian.

So, the correct thing for the end user to do is to report the bug to
Debian's bug tracking system.  If the maintainer determines that the
bug is in the upstream code, then the maintainer is supposed to pass
the bug upstream.

Of course, this assumes limited knowledge on the part of the end user,
and active maintenance by the Debian maintainer.  Either of those things
might turn out not to be the case.

An end user with a bit of technical prowess might build the upstream code
and test it to see whether the bug is also there.

A Debian maintainer might turn out to be severely inactive, for any
number of reasons.

In the end, everyone just has to do the best they can with the knowledge
they possess.