Re: Wayland vs X

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022, 12:25 PM Marco Möller <talby@debianlists.mobilxpress.net> wrote:
On 11.03.22 14:14, Christian Britz wrote:

> On 2022-03-11 12:47 UTC+0100, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
>> I have used Gnome on Wayland since late 2018.  It improved a lot with
>> the release of Bullseye.  I use this setup on two machines, a laptop and
>> a desktop that has two monitors.  So far I have not had any issues with
>
> And what is the practical _advantage_ over a X11 setup?
>
> The question is serious. Everytime I tried Wayland, something was not
> working as expected, uncomfortable to use and so on. Yes, Wayland
> support has improved a lot, but I still do not really see what I miss
> because I stick to X11. I know that Wayland has a cleaner design, but
> that bothers me not too much as a user.
>
> Regards,
> Christian

Isn't it all about X by design to not be able to safely protect a
running X applications to snoop on other running X applications,
something like the content of a window cannot safely kept private? I
remember to have read that Wayland was invented for this reason, to
overcome these security flaws of X which in the beginning of X have not
been a concern to anyone, but nowadays security issues are of much
importance to almost everyone.
(I have no reference for this statement, just remember to have something
like this read in the past)

That was exactly what I asked here a few days ago. And I was told that I was incorrect, that Wayland was simply a better implementation of X. That the old implementation X.org was still under active development. Showing that I was mistaken.

But if you read stuff online on this subject, you read exactly what I wrote: that the X protocol is old and outdated, the X source is largely unused at runtime, no real mindshare for X.org among X developers.

Here's an example of these views from 2021, at linuxiac.org:
"Most of the features that the X Server protocol provided were not used anymore. Pretty much all of the work that X11 did was redelegated to the individual applications and the window manager. And yet all of those old features are still there, weighing down on all of these applications, hurting performance and security".
https://linuxiac.com/xorg-x11-wayland-linux-display-servers-and-protocols-explained/

I'm just trying to find out what the real story is.

And isn't it because of Wayland protecting windows by design against
other windows, that operations like Copy&Paste between GUI applications
are (still) not always running smoothly and need extra efforts to become
well implemented?
(Again, I have no reference for this statement, just remember to have
something like this read in the past)

Regards,
Marco