Re: brltty=huge distraction for folks that don't need it.

Hi,

Le 02/01/2022 à 23:53, gene heskett a écrit :
Greetings All;

Without any conscious prompting by me, te debian 11.1 netinstall for x86-64
systems installed and setup whatever was needed to bring the screen reader
to life.

That is strange. Should not happen. The accessibility is installed only if you press s or if you plug a braille device.

Any thing related to a braile function that I try to remove wants to kill
another 2 or 3 gigs of system with it.

Perhaps you can provide your /var/log/installer log somewhere to enable the team to see what happent? Better, you could report bug to debian-installer (but probably show here the log first). The log will be required anyway.

Quite distracting to a sighted user when that robotic voice, speaking a very
broken bandwidth of what might be english, blaring out of ones speakers 20
db louder than firefoxes audio can I am sure, find a way to silence this w/o
destroying the rest of the system. Removing orca will shut it up, but that
leaves brltty spamming the daemon.log complaining about a missing library
every 5 seconds.  And that's close to 40 megabytes a week.

Note waiting for a good solution for packages, in your desktop, you can disable the accessibility via the control panel.

So, how does one shut up this useless to me, screen-reader and kill the log
spamming at the same time?

ALso see wiki.debian.org/accessibility where you see the gsetting line to enable accessibility (type the same one replacing true with false to revert the thing).

I think its great that folks have gone to that effort for the sightless, but
why is that sort of stuff always made mandatory.

That is a bug I see for the first time. Hence my interest for a log, as so far no one reported it AFAIK.

Regards

I'd sure appreciate any help cleaning it out

Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.