Re: Then it happened to me...

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 08:33:03AM +0100, piorunz wrote:
> On 08/10/2021 18:10, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > I've just set postfix to drop anything from that host at SMTP
> > time, but I doubt it's going to work. I think they've found a
> > cannon to annoy debian-user subscribers with.
> >
> Why we don't have this?
> https://forum.manjaro.org/

Maybe because there's [1]. There should be also IRC at libera.chat, and
that strange gizmo at [2].
[1] is also superior to Discourse that Manjaro is using as [1] can be
viewed without enabled Javascript.

You're free to convince list denizens to move elsewhere, there were such
efforts in the past. Where're still here btw.

> We still use e-mail list, prone to spam, and abuse

Once one uses own MTA, such issues are dealt quickly, simply, and most
importantly - permanently.
Consider it a hint. GMX is good, but not that good.

> technology from 30 years ago?

In other news, people are still using a wheel which was invented about
6000 years ago (4500 BC if Wikipedia is to be believed). Some things
just get better with age.
And nothing beats federated communication system which works. There's no
reasonable alternative to SMTP yet.

> Isn't it time to switch to online forums?

Different way of communicating attracts different communities. I'm sure
there's lively one at [1].

> It's not that Debian haven't got the money, right?

Where I'm living counting others' money is considered rude at best.
But I know a way - join Debian project, become Debian Developer, and
raise a General Resolution about Discourse.

Reco

[1] https://forums.debian.net/
[2] https://discourse.debian.org/