Stuttering Gnome Debian Buster

Hello All,

I have sort of hybrid media server as my living room PC. It's a Dual Xeon 2650L-V3 (24 cores total) with 32Gb of DDR4 ram. It functions as a storage server for my 40Gb Infiniband SAN, and as a regular fileserver providing both samba and nfs. It also runs three virtual machines using kvm/qemu, a pfsense load balancer for the network, a pihole in a seperate no-gui debian install and a simple webserver debian install. In total these VM's have 6 cores and 12Gb of RAM assigned to them. It has a Radeon R7 240 2Gb DDR5 video card attached to a 1080p TV. I haven't paid any particular attention to optimizing NUMA nodes or the like, but the only VM that really has any substantial load is the pfsense VM.

Previously it was running Ubuntu 20.10, but I've recently reinstalled it with Debian 10 because Ubuntu development has been taking a development direction that I'm finding increasingly annoying. The only thing that has been problematic since the reinstall is that I'm noticing extreme stuttering on the gnome desktop which wasn't present under Ubuntu, even with a positively ancient 512Mb videocard.

I'm using the open source radeon drivers that you get using contrib/non-free and I've scoured google trying to figure out the problem. The only thing I can come up with is that Gnome 3.30 is exceedingly slow, so I installed xfce4, but to a lesser extent this still suffers the same problems. Another point that may be related is that I have to log in a great many times before I can actually get into the desktop. Gdm login screen typically simply comes back 3-5 times before the desktop will display. I feel it's probably related, but this too is something that I've not been able to find anything substantial about through google searches.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for solving this, or perhaps whether this is a known problem dat is likely to be naturally adressed by the updates in Debian 11 which is releasing very soon? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

If anyone has any insights to share, I'd love to hear them.

EJ