Re: debian-user list info and guidelines (FAQ) - posted monthly

On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 06:54:53AM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
Maybe this is obvious for you, but for myself, I don't take note of
who's "on the list" and "who's not". So if someone reply to me regarding
a message that was posted on the list, there's pretty good chance that
I'll reply "on the list".

It's not obvious to me, but I take the time to be careful about replying
to the right place. I make use of decent mail tools configured properly
to aid me in this, because to do otherwise is a serious breach of
netiquette.

In short: if the mail was delivered from the list, it will have the
correct List-* headers, and a decent, properly-configured MUA will do
the right thing.

If your MUA doesn't help you with this, feel free to ask for advice
about decent MUAs, right here on this list!

This list is "unmoderated" and if better access control is needed then
maybe it would be time to change how it works. For example, limiting
posting to people registered would be a pretty good idea.

This is more or less the opposite problem to the one we are discussing,
namely, people who *cannot* post to the list, who are not doing so.
Moderation isn't going to make any difference to this case.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org