Re: losetup: cannot find an unused loop device , kernel config of loopback device

On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 04:36:59AM -0700, Colin Williams wrote:
> I'm running bullseye / debian 11.0 testing. I have been running a
> script that is supposed to write a filesystem image (for chromiumOS).
> In short I'm getting the following
>
> losetup: cannot find an unused loop device
> partx: stat of  failed: No such file or directory
> partx: stat of  failed: No such file or directory

Could you please do a quick

  sudo losetup -a

and perhaps

  ls /dev/loop*

and tell us the result?

> Looking up the error someone mentioned that the kernel needed to be
> configured to support loopback devices [...]

It would be an exotic kernel lacking that. Perhaps they are all used?

> Better yet, does anyone know how to solve my problem with the script
> or losetup? Could this be an issue building from a chroot environment
> with a different kernel version? Or building the image from a btrfs
> filesystem?

First let's try to understand what is going on. Perhaps some uncivilised
script has left around busy but unused loop devices.

Cheers
 - t