Re: `pv` rates

>> If it weren't for the first sometimes changing to
>> 44.xKiB/s it'd be hard to know which is which (IIUC the average is
>> higher because occasionally the drive gives a more reasonable transfer
>> rate than that measly 45kB/s).
>
> So now we're left wondering how you came by this situation. Perhaps
> you slumped onto the Return key, then woke up after a few minutes,
> having missed the initial burst that gave rise to the average being
> more than 50% faster than the current rate.

I don't know either.  Reading the whole drive would take a few years, so
I'm only fetching the few parts which have changed since the last
backup, and when I look the rate seems to be always ~45kB/s, but
obviously there have to be bursts at higher speeds (presumably because
the drive's defect doesn't affect every cylinder in the same way or
something like that.  E.g. the average has moved up to ~80kB/s since my
last message).

        Stefan