Re: listing initrd content

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 01:45, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> BTW I encrypt only /home and swap, and AFAICT my initrd.img doesn't
> contain crypt stuff except for /usr/bin/cryptroot-unlock (5686B).
> So I ignore a polite warning at every rebuild:
>
>   update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64
>   cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries
>       nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the
>       'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup initramfs
>       integration and avoid this warning.
>   Log ended: 2021-07-20  10:07:25

As the warning says, it and /usr/bin/cryptroot-unlock will go away
if you uninstall 'cryptsetup-initramfs', which is pulled in by 'cryptsetup',
which describes itself as a transitional dummy package that
can be removed. You probably only need 'cryptsetup-run' and
'cryptsetup-bin'. I learned this by running
  apt show 'cryptsetup*'
and tried it and it works fine where appropriate.