Seems to use a lot 32b software
Now I look for alternative VM builders to Chef. Synaptic programs seems same in Mint as in Debian. Debian works better in this machine than LMDE4. Mint runs better so far, than both Debian and Lmde4. But that's probably cos of my total lack of knowledge of anything incl. doing Backups(!). I took backups in Mac, not Linux.
Geg

On Sun, 1 Aug 2021, 23:46 Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside, <debian@polynamaude.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 2021-08-01 9:58 a.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> I expected that answer.
> Debian is still 1/2 of it, but kinda dysfunctional, cos of me & scam
> Trying to set up Debian in a VM in another Linux distro, with Chef
> So I cannot really see irrelevance
> of my question?? Like Nobody here knows how to fix this one, cos it's
> slightly out of D. politics?
> Geg

Not because of politics.
Because you don't seem to take help when it's given to you.

At least 3 persons (different ones) have gave you tips on how to
properly identify the OS you are running over (not only Linux but the
distribution itself) and been trying to find out what you are using.

Including one person that wasn't sure if your laptop description was
because it was running Bullseye and wanted to be added to the list of
computer supported or something else.

None got any answer.

So this may be the start of the whole problem.

Now if you have a belief that people are trying to scam you off, them I
can assure you of two things.

You probably aren't a interesting target unless you are a bank or some
big corporation. And if it would be the case, you wouldn't be
interacting this way on the mailing list.

If you got offer by someone you don't know to pay 100$ and get refunded
for BTC, then you are mostly the first person to blame. This trick has
been around for a very long time, and it's quite public notoriety that
the first thing to do is to hangup on those person.

If you come here for help and put a doubt behind every answer that
people will give you. Then it could be good to ask yourself why you came
here first ?

Maybe you never answered to the two other users who asked you to type
some command on the shell so we can know what type of system you run,
this way we'd know if it's Debian (as we don't seem to be sure yet) and
what architecture too. Because you talked about ex-Macbook, using BIOS,
etc... pretty unclear.

Nobody can undo what happened in the past. But if you need help, the
first thing will be some genuine cooperation from yourself. Or going out
to your local computer store and paying someone to do the job.

And surely stop using some acronym only you may understand. It's not a
run against the clock. Take time to write complete word and people will
maybe have more interest in helping too.

Why shall we make effort if you don't do so. If all the energy we have
is devoted trying to decrypt some message then there won't be any left
for the computer helping part of the job.

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021, 16:50 Andrew M.A. Cater, <amacater@einval.com
> <mailto:amacater@einval.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 04:30:45PM +0300, Gunnar Gervin wrote:
>     > Security.
>     > Rarely discussed in Linux(?)..
>     > Was scammed recently; naive me let a man w/Bad accent take over my
>     laptop
>     > to 'help refund BTC' & make me pay 100$.
>     > Because of that &/or me in Synaptic bloating (2 many) packages,
>     which led
>     > to "1t fix broken packages", "put in Debian 10.9 Netinst cdrom", &
>     "can't
*lt fin broken packages* ?
lt ?

let ?

>     > find key file" messages (yes, all 3 !).

find key file messages ?

*yes, all 3!*

what 3 ?

>     > After trying "all" workarounds, I installed another, more simple Linux
>     > distro, built up a new setup of relevant programs to build VM,
>     containers,
>     > websites, Debian iso image, & CHEF.
>
>     Which distro - are you still using Debian?

Again this question ?

How many time will it take before getting a bit of cooperation !?

>     If not, we can't really help you. Although many of us have run other
>     distributions in the past, all of the Debian/Ubuntu derivatives do
>     something slightly different - we can only really help with generic
>     Debian things. If we offer help with any other distribution, it's
>     only ever best efforts - Debian derivatives have their own support
>     infrastructure.
>
>     > Now Chef asks me to give URL to continue setting up a VM etc.
>     > Plz advise &/or help to do it/this.
>
>     It may not be relevant but the chef and chef-zero packages in Buster
>     appear
>     to no longer be packaged in Bullseye - the upcoming release due in
>     two weeks.
>
>     Ask on a Chef list, perhaps?

A good shot would be to ask on a mailing list specific to this
particular software (or a forum).

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside