Re: what binds to port

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 10:41:13AM -0400, songbird wrote:
> > mick crane wrote:
> > > Doh! discovered have to restart scanbd.service after changing config
> > > file.
> > > You'd have thought I would know that.
> >
> >   some will restart automatically when their config file changes
> > and others don't.  you have to know which do and which don't
> > since this isn't a universal feature yet.
>
> Very few programs poll for changes to their configuration files.  That
> would be a sloppy design.

The reason that this is a sloppy design is because editing a config file by hand
will inevitably lead to invalid configs.

Some long-running daemons instead listen for a signal to tell
them to re-load their config file without shutting down. The
really good ones run a syntax checker before trying to run the
new config, and emit an error message but continue on the old
config when the new one fails.

A daemon which is very quick to start and stop probably doesn't
implement that at all.

-dsr-