Re: .profile not being src'd at login on uptodate buster

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 10:18:19AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> I'm not using PS1 to test whether stdout is a terminal, but whether
> the file is running interactively. From man bash:
>
>   "PS1 is set and $- includes i if bash is interactive, allowing a
>   shell script or a startup file to test this state.

The second half of that sentence is referring to the $- part.  That's
what you're supposed to test to see whether the shell is interactive.

# bash
if [[ $- = *i* ]]; then
  echo "I am an interactive shell"
echo

# sh
case $- in
  *i*) echo "I am an interactive shell" ;;
esac