Re: .profile not being src'd at login on uptodate buster

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 03:16:41PM +0000, Lee wrote:
> On 4/7/21, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just installed buster on a Dell 7010 and I have added two stanza's to
> > my .profile, to find a logout and back in does not establish a new
> > $PATH.
>
> Probably because you've got a window manager that does the login stuph for you..

Display Manager.

> > The first of them will be added but not the other if I
> > . .profile

> > # set PATH so it includes user's private AppImages if it exists
> > if [ -d "$HOME/AppImages" ] ; then
> >     PATH="$HOME/AppImages:$PATH"
> > fi
> > =====
> > Both directories do exist.

Prove it, by running  ls -ld $HOME/AppImages  in a terminal, and then
pasting the shell prompt, the command, and its output from the terminal
session into the body of the email.  For example,

unicorn:~$ ls -ld $HOME/AppImages
ls: cannot access '/home/greg/AppImages': No such file or directory

> > Any idea why its not working?
>
> A typo in your script?  Add an else clause that shows the error and
> that will probably show you what's wrong -- eg
>
> dir="$HOME/AppImages"
> if [ -d "$dir" ] ; then
>   PATH="$dir:$PATH"
> else
>   echo "OnNoes!! The directory \"$dir\" does not exist!"
> fi

Writing error messages to stdout from a .profile isn't generally the
best idea.  Writing to stderr would be slightly better, but both of
them should be avoided in a permanent configuration if possible.  Profiles
that scribble to stdout or stderr during login can break things like scp.

As a *temporary* debugging measure, it's fine.

> note that $HOME/AppImages is listed only once.  That makes sure that
> your test, path and diagnostic output are all using the same directory
> name.

That's good advice in general, yeah.