Re: power limiting via system controls (was: on the verge of ...

On 3/8/21 8:15 AM, songbird wrote:

   i can overclock this CPU if i want, but i won't but is
there a way to limit the power draw from the booting options
or command line once i've got it up and running?

This package provides tools for accessing CPU frequency and/or governors.

    cpufrequtils

This machine has an Intel Core i7-2600S processor. These are the settings after boot:

    2021-03-08 13:24:29 root@tinkywinky ~
    # cpufreq-info -p
    1600000 3800000 powersave

I can change the maximum processor frequency:

    2021-03-08 13:25:09 root@tinkywinky ~
    # cpufreq-set -u 1600000

    2021-03-08 13:25:45 root@tinkywinky ~
    # cpufreq-info -p
    1600000 1600000 powersave

If I then load all cores at 100%, the Xfce CPU Frequency Monitor applet mostly indicates 1.60 GHz, with some bounces up to 1.72 GHz.

David