Re: FileZilla / ftp / GnuTLS error connecting to sites with Testing/Bullseye

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:19:46PM -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 2021-02-12 09:12, songbird wrote:
> >    it looks like things are happening, but how quickly those
> > changes are applied and uploads happen and are approved may
> > take some time yet.

> I appreciate the people doing this, but this is a serious issue. I have to
> resort to firing up a VM or resorting to the command line on my local server
> to update my web sites because I can't do it from Testing. I see it also
> impacts other programs that I (fortunately) don't use as much.

First of all, let's be clear: the bug (#980119) affects "FTP over TLS"
a.k.a. "FTPS" which is a hacked-up abomination of a protocol on top of
the worst protocol ever conceived.

Anyone actually using this needs to take some time and seriously
re-evaluate their infrastructure.

The fact that very few people use this nonstandard protocol means it
doesn't see as much testing as other protocols.

> When faced with a major bug, shouldn't there be a procedure to pull back the
> testing version - like restoring the previous version with a bumped-up
> version number while working on the known buggy version in experimental (no
> need to punish people using SID)?

You are running testing.  This means you are testing Debian's next
release, before it's released, in order to spot bugs.  Thank you for
that.  This is a service you are performing for the Debian community,
and it's valued.

As a volunteer tester, you accept the fact that the software you are
testing may have bugs.  That's why you're testing it.

This particular bug looks like it has been succesfully reported,
reproduced, pinpointed, and a fix is underway.  I don't know what
more you could possibly ask for.

Meanwhile, if this bug affects you, you are free to install an older
version of the package that doesn't have the bug, or to build a
package with the upstream patch applied for your temporary local use,
or to use a non-testing system for your production work.