Re: Instructions for command line usage of WiFi.

From: Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 08:25:39 +0300
> [1] also states that:
>
> The wpasupplicant package ...
>
> In simplier terms: no wpasupplicant = no WPA2.

Your simplified statement is invaluable.  "Less is more".

The rather inscrutable section entitled "wpa_supplicant" follows the
section entitled "WPS" which follows the section entitled "Command
Line".  The structure of the document certainly doesn't explain the
relationship of components well. Unhelpful to a novice.  Obvously no
problem for an expert.  But who should be helped by documentation?

I guess most connections now require authentication.  The explanation
should be consistent with reality.

My effort to make WiFi work, using network access by a mobile tablet,
was tough going.  Installation of packages was painful.  I abandoned
the effort, took the HDD back to a system with wired Ethernet,
installed LXDE, wicd and dependencies and got WiFI to work.  =8~)

I wonder why the netinstall process in the ISO image doen't include at
least the base support for WiFi?  Too much data?  Negligence in
planning the ISO build?

Incidentally, I'd prefer to say that authentication is conducted by
"authenticator" and "authenticatee".  Meaning is fairly obvious.
Symmetry is as valuable in technical terminology as in vehicle design.
Yah, I've read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplicant_(computer).
Can't help but think that the authors of 802.1X were being a little
too clever with "authenticator" and "supplicant".  Make it simple as
possible!

Thanks for the help,                      ... P.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca