Re: passwords + bad memory - Was (Re: how to test disk for bad sector)

On Tuesday, September 01, 2020 02:42:50 PM Mike McClain wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 09:41:06PM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > my memory is poor, i can't remember many accounts and passwords
>
>     The more experience you have the harder it is to find the
> memory you're searching for. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

+1 ;-)

>     Mnemonics can make passwords relatively easy to remember and can
> be very secure if chosen carefully.
>     Mom's birthday is 5 May 1919, a secure password is *M05o05m19m19a?
> I have an AT&T account and an address I haven't lived at in 50 years is
> 5535 El Campo, Ft. Worth, Texas 75107, so :A5535t75107t;.
>     That should give you the idea, a mix of upper and lower case,
> numerals and punctuation selected from things no longer current can make
> good passwords easy to remember.

That can be a good approach, but a modern approach seems to be tending towards
multiple whole words, e.g. "book swimming Wednesday conduct" (all together as
a password.

A password like this can be easier for a person to remember (especially if you
create a mnemonic to go with it) and be harder for a computer to guess.

I've read articles about the approach, but don't remember enough to explain it
very well.