Re: grub update and reinstallation

On 7/31/20 13:27, Andrew Cater wrote:
> In addition - this is booting in legacy/BIOS mode not in UEFI -
> otherwise it would have mentioned grub-efi
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:38 PM Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk
> <mailto:ad44@cityscape.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri 31 Jul 2020 at 11:21:06 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
>     > The recent security updates to grub inspire two questions:
>     > 1) Do the changes require updating the info put in the boot sector?
>
>     Yes.
>
>     > 2) Does the upgrade do that installation automatically?
>
>     Yes.

But not always, it seems. I have a laptop that became unbootable because
the initial loader failed to find a symbol (grub_calloc) and balked.
Like the one mentioned here, it uses legacy boot. One explanation has it
that this happened because the MBR and the remainder of grub were not
both updated or were updated with slightly incompatible data.

One fix appears to be to reinstall grub using a rescue CD or another
system. That worked for me.

Tom Dial