Re: Why do I have so many packages to upgrade with Debian 10.4?

Hi,

Thank you  all (with delay) for your answers.

11 mai 2020 à 19:49 de didier.gaumet@gmail.com:

11 mai 2020 à 23:10 de deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk:

> I think the intention is that proposed-updates is for software fixes
> that need testing before being accepted into stable, whereas
> stable-updates is for updates in information like virus patterns,
> dates when clocks change, and so on, that can go straight in.
> So most 'ornery' people will follow the latter but not the former.

I think we can summarize this way:
* stable: contains packages for new releases (10 currently) and new point releases (10.4 currently)
* stable/updates: security updates, some(/all?) of them are incorporated into stable-proposed-updates
* stable-proposed-updates: packages (bugfixes + SECURITY patches) that are being prepared for the next point release, some of them are incorporated into stable-updates
* stable-updates: urgent fixes

In other words, stable + stable/updates + stable-updates should be sufficient generally.
stable-proposed-updates offers packages for people who want to be ahead of point release schedule (beware of the quality as it's not fully stable yet).

Debian Wiki contains an instructive diagram: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

So to answer my own question, I think indeed that all the new packages I saw on my screen were those of stable-proposed-updates discharged into stable (that were not security packages nor urgent ones) + maybe some latest packages from stable/updates and stable-updates that were just released around the same time.

12 mai 2020 à 09:25 de andreimpopescu@gmail.com:

> Nothing unusual. You also have i386 packages installed so this will also
> increase the number of updates.

Good catch! :)

Best regards,
l0f4r0