Re: Finding application's description

On Sb, 06 iun 20, 09:37:11, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I've just installed Buster and am selecting which apps on my Stretch machine
> I wish to continue to use.
>
> For some reason I had installed Gdebi.
> I can't find a good description on which base a decision.
> https://packages.debian.org lists no homepage.
> https://manpages.debian.org links to https://launchpad.net/gdebi/ which
> gives no descriptive material.
> From search engine hits I gather was developed when Ubuntu made installation
> of deb files inconvenient.
> In a straight Debian environment, does it give any advantage over Synaptic
> &/or apt?

As per the description, gdebi is for local (i.e. downloaded .deb files)
so it provides a function that synaptic does not.

In the meantime APT can install local packages as well, so its only
advantages appear to be:

  - GUI
  - scanning with lintian

On the other hand, looking at its Tracker page[1] it appears to be
unmaintained:

  - old-old-stable (jessie): 0.9.5.5+nmu1
  - old-stable (stretch):    0.9.5.7+nmu1
  - stable (buster)          0.9.5.7+nmu3
  - testing (bullseye)       0.9.5.7+nmu3
  - unstable (sid):          0.9.5.7+nmu3

It looks like no or very limited development upstream (or newer versions
were not packages for Debian - didn't check) and the package in Debian
has been maintained by others (NMU = Non-Maintainer Upload).

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/gdebi

Hope this helps,
Andrei