Re: Something is buggy - was [Re: Debian man pages have annoying feature(sic)]

On 2020-06-02 at 09:05, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 06/01/2020 05:02 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> On 06/01/2020 04:02 PM, Ralph Katz wrote:

>>> apt show debian-goodies
>>> debman     - Easily view man pages from a binary .deb without extracting
>>>                 [man, apt* (via debget)]
>>>
>>> So...  ~$ dman packagename   # will fetch the manpages as though they
>>> were local.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ralph
>>

>> Thank you. Looks interesting.
>> 1st didn't work even after installing debian-goodies.
>> Suspect operator. Leaving now. will pursue in morning.

> Copy and paste this morning from MATE terminal
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ dman gforth
>> bash: dman: command not found
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ debman gforth
>> Usage: debman [options] [-- man(1) options] <man page name> ...
>>
>> Options should be exactly one of:
>>         -f package.deb          read pages from package.deb archive
>>         -p package              download .deb for package and read pages
>>                                 from there
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ debman -p gforth
>> Usage: debman [options] [-- man(1) options] <man page name> ...
>>
>> Options should be exactly one of:
>>         -f package.deb          read pages from package.deb archive
>>         -p package              download .deb for package and read pages
>>                                 from there
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ debman -f gforth.deb
>> Usage: debman [options] [-- man(1) options] <man page name> ...
>>
>> Options should be exactly one of:
>>         -f package.deb          read pages from package.deb archive
>>         -p package              download .deb for package and read pages
>>                                 from there
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$
>
> I have verified that both
> https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/gforth/gforth.1.en.html
>    and
> https://manpages.debian.org/buster/gforth/gforth.1.en.html
>
> Help please.

I've dug into this, and while I thought at first there was a bug here
myself, I've figured it out.

The command lines you're giving are specifying the package name, but not
the name of the man page. The "<man page name>" argument at the end of
the usage section is not optional.

For example,

$ debman -p gforth vmgen

works fine for me.

If you need to find out the name of the actual man page (since, e.g., it
isn't intuitively obvious that gforth will contain a man page for the
name 'vmgen'), something like

$ apt-file show gforth | grep /man/

ought to do it; just drop the leading path (up through the final '/')
and the trailing ".X.gz" (where X is a number) from each filename, and
it should be a valid man-page argument to debman.

(I'm not sure what it will do if there's a package which installs two
man pages with the same name but different sections, because I haven't
yet found any examples of packages which do that.)

--
   The Wanderer