Re: debsecan does not report a vulnerability?

David Wright wrote:
> > On Monday, 11 May 2020 00:14:02 PDT Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you use to track vulnerabilites in your Debian hosts? What's the
> > > general approach? Do we just rely upon unattended-upgrade to fetch and
> > > install patched packages for us?
> >
> > Running unattended upgrades is generally a recommended way to keep the system
> > up-to-date. It minimizes the time from update being published to installed.
> >
> > I got interested and installed debsecan on my laptop. Here is what man says:
> >
> >        Much like the official Debian security advisories, debsecan's
> >        vulnerability tracking is mostly based on source packages.
> >
> > So it seems that it only knows about issues that were reported to source
> > packages. The next logical step would be to grep bugtracker to see if this CVE
> > was even reported to that package.
>
> Or you could check /usr/share/doc/openssl/changelog.Debian.gz
> though it only shows up in version 1.1.1d-0+deb10u3 of course.
>
> $ zcat /usr/share/doc/openssl/changelog.Debian.gz | head

I'm looking for a more generic tool to audit all installed packages and
report vulnerable ones.
> $
>
> (I'm not sure why the OP is still running the previous version.)

I downgraded it on purpose, to find a tool which would detect and report
this package as vulnerable. The "debsecan" turned out to be the wrong
tool.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/