Re: Music players that save (different) volume settings for each song (was: Re: mplayer with -loop 0 but w/o volume reset?

Quoting rhkramer@gmail.com (2020-03-03 13:22:49)
> (I'm not the OP.)  I wonder if there are any music players that can
> save a (play)list along with a selected volume for each song on the
> playlist?  (Or use a database of songs with volume setting, and then
> access the database as the playlist calls for a song?)
>
> (I'm aware of things (not sure that any are implemented in LInux music
> players) that try to "normalize" the audio by either reviewing the
> content of the entire song or some portion of it and and adjust the
> volume to be similar to the volume of other songs on the playlist, but
> those don't always work as well as I would like.  Something that
> allowed you to set a volume for each song (and maybe even store a list
> of volume changes for songs that had large changes in volume) would be
> nice.)

I would use ID3 tags as "database", like this:

 2. Load all tunes into Picard, compute ReplayGain, and apply tags
 3. Use a player which respects ReplayGain tags to normalize volume
 4. Where some ReplayGain values are "wrong", manually adjust tags

Personally I would use Picard for tagging and ReplayGain computing
(hint: configure it to enable module "ReplayGain"), and I would use MPD
+ mpd-sima + ncmpcpp as player, but there are many many many options and
most of them follows same general flow described above.

 - Jonas