Re: Re: Please consider unblocking Chromium and linux packages for Buster

On 7/1/19, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 12:13:00PM +0200, Rodrigo Olmos wrote:
>> > For security critical packages like web browsers I would always
>> > recommend getting a newer version from unstable or from stable-security
>> > ASAP.
>>
>> What would be the best procedure as of today to have v75 instead of
>> v73 on stretch? I tried pinning v75 from unstable but it suggests huge
>> changes (91 upgraded, 41 newly installed, 12 to remove) including core
>> system libraries
>
> Installing binary packages from unstable or testing onto a stable release
> is a BAD move.  Never do this.

I added those last numbers back in to show just how bad an idea it can
be. Every one of those opens the door for all kinds of incompatibility
issues that eventually lead to a potentially permanent crash-and-burn.

For newbies peeking in, every single one of those 91 incoming
*upgraded* packages is OVERWRITING... OBLITERATING.. the otherwise
stable packages that Developers manually tweaked especially for one's
currently installed Debian release. That's why there's always someone
to say, *NOOOOO, DON'T DO IT THAT WAY!* Some number of us have been
there, done that and thus know firsthand just how painfully bad an
idea it is to do.

> If you feel that you absolutely positively HAVE to have a higher-numbered
> version of a web browser than what is available in Debian, just use
> upstream's binaries.  Download an appropriate upstream chromium binary
> release tarball and unpack it in /opt/chromium or whatever upstream
> suggests, and run it from there.

That's what I was thinking earlier when I saw the first post. I step
out on that limb enough here that I held back this time.

It's just... safer than those 91 packages about to get overwritten.
Your system becomes "not so Debian pure"... but sometimes you have to
make that executive decision based on personal computing needs at any
given second in time. For me as a semi-reclusive type, pulling in
those outside browser packages is most often about the ability versus
inability to simply pay bills online to help keep #Life moving
forward.....

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey