Re: [OT] Systemd and forking programs (was systemd can't start a dæmon and doesn't give any error either)

On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 11:04:21AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
Now systemd is very opinionated [1] software, and "there is just one
way to do it", so the daemons serviced by it have to behave in this
one way (stay in the foreground).

It certainly is opinionated, but daemons serviced by it do not *have* to
behave in this one way: the version on my system (232-25+deb9u4)
supports "simple" (this no-fork mode that we are discussing), "forking",
"oneshot", "dbus", "notify" and "idle" (via man systemd.service(5)).

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland