Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

Am DATE hackte Dan Purgert in die Tasten:
> Thanks for the explanation.  At some point I may have to look into it
> in
> more detail -- although since I run my MTA (well, at least for the
> mail
> that matters) that does sorting serverside, might not do me any good.

I would say, your MTA has nothing to do with it.

If you run your own Server and your MTA receive a new message,
let it point to procmail and sort it. I assum, you access the
server trough IMAP so the next time you connect with your
prefered MUA or Squirrelmail you will see the mesages nicely
sorted.

I get today per day arround 700 messages (10 years ago it was
more then 2500 per day) and i have go only in mailfolders I am
interested in.

My IMAP structure is

INBOX
     .BTS_debian
                .<source_package>
     .ML_debian
               .arm
               .embedded
               .security
               .user
               .user-german
     .ML_mail
             .courier-users@lists_sourceforge_net
             .mutt-announce@mutt_org
             .mutt-users@mutt_org
             .squirrelmail-users@lists_sourceforge_net
     .ML_misc
             .bind-users@lists_isc_org
     .ML_pgsql
              .general
     .ML_php
            .general
     .ML_xwindow
                .fvwm@fvwm_org
                .xorg@lists_freedesktop_org

Mutt and Squirrelmail marke the folders where are new messages.
and if I am only interested in mutt, I have not to search in a
mailbox with several 100 (or several 1000 after holliday)
unrelated messages.

I hope this give you a clue.

No chance for Webbased Forum especially with all this trackers in it!

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400