Re: Console fonts

Larry Dighera composed on 2017-04-30 16:40 (UTC-0700):
[...]
Previously, in OP https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/04/msg00534.html :
http://www.udoo.org/
***
	Without anything there indicating date of release, that URI strongly suggests
to me nevertheless that his hardware is newer than Jessie can be expected to
support.

GiaThnYgeia later wrote:
$ inxi -c10 -v3
Will list basic system info and hardware
***
	I found nothing in the archive or on original reading of the thread responding
to this, but then later I did see OP wrote:

Intel quad-core Celeron N3160
2.24 GHz & Intel® Quark SE core 32 MHz plus 32-bit ARC core 32 MHz, Intel HD
Graphics 400 Up to 640 MHz 12 execution units, 4 GB DDR3L Dual Channel RAM
and 32GB eMMC Storage
***
	This supports my suspicion. Later, OP provided logs, which contained:

Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
root=UUID=f0748180-a596-4f02-85d8-34b09b57cb42 ro quiet
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
***
	These support my suspicion, and explain why his ttys are stuck in 80x25 mode,
unresponsive to later instruction from David Wright. Lack of /dev/fb0 is a not
unusual pre-KMS result from a kernel cmdline (from the selected Grub stanza, as
modified, if modified) that lacks anything telling the kernel not to enable
framebuffer, resulting in use of 80x25 text mode on the ttys. Since Jessie's
3.16 kernel does support KMS, his 1920x1080 Samsung SyncMaster display's native
mode should be picked up by KMS, but that depends on the kernel supporting his
Intel HD Graphics 400 device. Possibly Grub could be reconfigured to make a
lesser mode like 1440x900 or less explicit. Lack of /dev/dri/card0 explains why
X doesn't work, the kernel found no supported gfx device.

When I boot an Intel video Jessie PC with no video parameters on cmdline,
root=LABEL=deb8jessie plymouth.enable=0 noresume
I see kernel messages begin in 80x25 mode, after which the kernel figures out
the display's native mode and switches to it, resulting in ttys producing 210
columns by 65 rows.
# inxi -c0 -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 210x65 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X

When I reboot same PC with framebuffer disabled to emulate OP's boot condition thus,
root=LABEL=deb8jessie plymouth.enable=0 noresume nomodeset
# ls -l /dev/fb*
ls: cannot access /dev/fb*: No such file or directory
the ttys stay in 80x25 mode:
# inxi -c0 -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X

I've seen nothing in thread explicitly explaining why he has no /dev/fb0, but
unless and until /dev/fb0 exists, ttys are stuck in 80x25. Maybe that is
something installing a working Plymouth can fix. I don't know, as I never use
Plymouth, and suspect it would also be victim of unsupported hardware.

Even if OP can get the ttys working to his liking, I still think it's very
likely a lost cause trying to use Jessie on his hardware. Stretch is very near
ready to release, and probably OP's better next move.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/