Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

Joel Rees:

> I wish I didn't have to put my conspiracy theorist hat on here, but I
> suspect that many in HP's management are fearful of upsetting the 800
> pound gorilla/elephant in the room.
>
> Neither Microsoft nor Intel seem to have any desire to understand
> where the technology on which they so blithely ride their fortunes
> came from originally. And they seem quite willing to say one thing and
> do another with one hand and use the other hand to stab anyone handy
> in the back with behind-the-scenes market pressure.

All fine and reasonable but nowhere in your fine analysis on things do
you imply there is anything more than financial interests and if all
this exists in a "free" economy where meritocracy of function and value
wins.

Whenever there is economic power found you will find an intersection
with political power.  One can not survive long without the other, in a
global system of inequality.  If we are talking of
monopolies/oligopolies/cartels/trusts there is a need for political
power to keep this scum alive and blood sucking.  So there is exchange
and it is not always in the form of "official lobbying" and bribery.
There is also exchange in "services".

It is the only way a system of inequality in both arenas can survive and
resist change.  I hope I don't have to break it down in pennies (of what
this actually means).  So don't dare tell me that everything that is
incorporated in a chip or a processor is a pure product of financial
interests of its manufacturer, to be the best and still pretty cheap.

--
 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG

"Who died and made you the superuser?"  Brooklinux

"keep rocking in the non-free world" Neilznotyoung