Re: two graphics cards and two monitors

Mark Fletcher composed on 2017-01-04 23:30 (UTC+0900):

I've seen several people say or imply this in the past. But I have an
ignorant question I am almost too embarrassed to ask (almost). Most
normal cards have only one connector of each type.
AFAIK, those with only one standard connector, unless that connector is a DisplayPort, can only ever be used for displaying the same thing on each screen, typically called mirroring.

So how are you
plugging in 2 monitors -- one into the HDMI and one into the DisplayPort
/ DVI / whatever connector???
Many graphics adapters have multiple output ports that can be used simultaneously, and these can typically be configured to produce entirely unrelated things, or different portions of a single desktop too large to fit on one screen.

Or do you use a special cable that plugs
into one connector at the card end and splits into 2 at the monitor end?

Some gfxcards are intended to be used with a special cable that splits the signal into two discrete ports. Those that I have work the same way as cards with multiple output ports.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/