Re: potential damage to Debian "stable" when installing packages from "testing"

Hi there

On 08/12/16 16:27, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:

0) backport it yourself. It is not that hard to dget a dsc file from
testing and try to build it for the current release. Often works without
additional efforts.

That's what I do. I'm rather blunt about it;
1. Does it compile?
2. Does it install?
3. Does it work?
4. Am I still happy about it after a while?

Recently I ran into some squid and libcap3 problems;
http://www.sput.nl/software/squid/squid-backport.html

According to a friend it's OK to replace the maintainer supplied symbols file with the generated one. And the libcap3 does indeed compile and build a package. I'm considering building Squid with it and want to name the new package 3.5.22-1~bpo8+2 instead of 3.5.22-1~bpo8+1.
Is this possible and how do I do this?

Regards,
Rob