Re: non-free software requirement

Steve Greig <greigsteve@gmail.com> writes:

> When I installed debian I got a message saying my computer (emachines
> laptop AMD Athlon X2 64bit) needed some non-free software. The names of the
> software were given although I did not record the names.

That's important information. Could you try running the installer again,
and carefully recording the messages?

> However, I wondered what it might be for.

If you had recorded what specifically the messages said, that would have
been useful to know. Without knowing the specific drivers it suggested,
we can only guess, like you :-)

--
 \          “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to |
  `\    another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one!’” —C.S. |