Re: enumerating with Grub* (was: reasons to ditch LILO before...)

> rhkramer@gmail.com composed on 2016-07-07 18:47 (UTC-0400):
> >The thing that always frustrated me about grub is that, iirc, they counted
> >disks / partitions different than lilo and the rest of Linux--they start
> >counting at 1 (like Windows, iirc), and lilo and Linux start counting at 0--is
> >that still the case?

I'm sorry that this causes perpetual frustration to you, particularly
as you say you really don't have an issue with grub. I'm not sure
whether the answer below will please you or not...

On Thu 07 Jul 2016 at 20:03:46 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> Grub and Grub2 count drives starting with 0 (as a BIOS does).
>
> Grub also counts partitions starting with 0.
>
> Grub2 inexplicably counts partitions starting with 1.

I'm afraid I can't go back further than 1996 with Debian (but that was
the first release, 1.1 or buzz). At that time, Debian counted
partitions from 1, as did lilo. The old Grub definitely stood out
in starting from 0, which is why they spelled it out so carefully
in the docs, eg:
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/Naming-convention.html#Naming-convention

Now they have fallen into line, the Grub manual has to make sure you
realise it has been changed, eg
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Naming-convention

The most modern fdisk program I have is gdisk (for GPT disks) and it
counts partitions from 1. Is there some newfangled disk subsystem
that's passed me by which starts counting at zero?

Cheers,
David.