Re: Migrating Windows on a physical server to KVM with Debian Jessie

Hi, Thiago.

> > > I would recommend for you to reinstall the same Windows version on top
> > > of KVM, using VirtIO drivers for both HDD and NIC devices, then,
> > > reinstall the applications and copy the data to the new Windows...
> > >
> > > To install Windows on top of VirtIO, you'll need to boot Windows ISO,
> > > plus a second virtual CD-Drive, with the VirtIO drivers on it, then,
> > > during Windows install, when asked, point to the second CD...

> > Thanks for the recommendation.
> >
> > A long time ago that I don't read about VirtIO drivers for Windows. The
> > last time I did, they were experimental.
> >
> > I just do a little research and found this page [1] of the KVM project.
> > Do you mean to one of the ISOS published here [2]?
> >
> > These ISOs have drivers for any version of Windows and any architecture
> > (32 and 64 bit)?
> >
> > [1] http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
> > [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers

> Yep, this is it!   :-)

Great! Thanks for confirm! :-)

> I have many Windows 2008 R2 64-bit running in production, with those
> drivers:
>
> https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/stable-virtio/virtio-win.iso

I see that it is the Stable virtio-win iso. It is good to know that
you're using it in production with good result.

> I only tested Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012 R2, both works fine...
> Boot Windows ISO as primary CD, and virtio-win.iso as secondary CD, all
> good...

According to what I was looking at some videos, just when starting the
Windows installation CD, would I have to choose a "custom installation"
option for loading drivers from a CD, right?

I've seen it in a video where they use Windows 7, but maybe for other
versions of Windows I would have to follow the same procedure.

> Oh, also, I am using SPICE VDI, instead of ugly VNC... Super smooth
> video experience for Windows guests. After all installed (don't need to
> provide video drivers during Windows install), you can download SPICE
> drivers from here:
>
> http://www.spice-space.org/download.html:
>
> http://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-0.100.exe
>

> All running on OpenStack! Only diff is that I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 as a
> host and now, 16.04, but Debian is just fine too, of course...   =)

Interesting. Thanks for the references!

The first time I tried VirtManager on Jessie I have noticed that it is
now using Spice as default for graphical consoles (before it was using
VNC), but I have not yet tried Spice. What client are you using to
connect to the guest using this protocol? Because I have not seen it,
for example, in Remmina.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Kind regards,
Daniel