Re: sexist content in the package openclipart2-png

Just for the record, in case the package maintainer or policy group
look at this thread hoping for representative opinions:

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 5:31 AM, Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:
> On 31/12/15 03:10 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
>>
>> On 31/12/15 06:15 AM, Fernando Arenas wrote:
>>>
>>> First my sincere congratulations to the entire team that works every day
>>> to improve this wonderful operating system.
>>> The reason for writing to you is to have found in a package called
>>> openclipart2 clipsarts clearly sexist content in which women are presented
>>> as sex objects. So I ask you to withdraw these images and improve its
>>> protocols for such content is not put back into their servers.
>>> I hate that my children may find these images when they perform their
>>> work for the school.
>>> Only in Spain during 2015 male violence he has killed 62 women. Do not
>>> you contribute to promoting ideas about women favoring these behaviors.
>>>
>>> greetings from
>>> Fernando Arenas
>>>
>>> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/openclipart2-png/filelist
>>> https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/openclipart2-png/filelist
>>

>> I will note that the package is not available for Jessie or Stretch except
>> as a download from Sid.I gather the package maintainer has a problem with it
>> too. Perhaps the openclipart packages should be divided into categories
>> which would allow for more targeted downloads. People looking for animal
>> clipart, for example, may not want furniture clipart installed as well. This
>> would allow for "sexy-female" and "sexy-male" packages that aren't installed
>> except by explicit request.
>>
> My apologies for the above comment. Up until reading Fernando's post, I
> wasn't aware of openclipart2.

I personally see no reason for you to apologize for your suggestion.

It would take a bit of work, but non-programmers who want to help
could do a few at a time and it would help make openclipart2 more
useful for everyone.

One volunteer by him/herself would get worn out, yes, and I wouldn't
ask the package maintainer to categorize the whole list without help.

> I note that it is substantially larger than
> openclipart and is organized by contributor, not by topic.

And that makes it less useful than it would b if organized by topic.

It would have been nice if we had the contributors' opinions about the
categorization as a starting point, too, if I were making wishes.

> Following my
> suggestion would be hugely time consuming and achieve very little.

Strongly disagree. Clipart is only useful when you can find what you
are looking for.

> Looking at the images that were identified, I find little justification in
> the original complaint. One can easily accidentally stumble across far more
> provocative content on Facebook.

The comment on facebook aside, I looked at the first twenty or so
images in the list, and I agree that the general point of view is very
much one that treats people as objects. I would not want my children
finding those when looking for clipart.

In my opinion, a complaint is justified here. Those should be sorted
out into a separate package, at minimum.

--
Joel Rees

Ranting is free.
http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.jp/