Re: Please tipps for Desktop ( gnome, kde, xfce, etc. ) Debian 8 jessie and some minor issues

On Saturday 10 October 2015 22:51:17 Peter Berlau wrote:
> I still like Lenevo most, but i not very familar in "making hardware run
> under Debian"...

As I said in the beginning, I have a strong "emotional" attachment to Lenovo.
And traditionally Lenovo laptops have been very good with Linux.  There is
even a site dedicated to Linux users and IBM has some excellent on-line free
tuition for linux users.

See this page for information on which models Lenovo considers to be
particularly Linux friendly:
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/faqs/pc-life-faqs/what-is-Linux/
See the bottom of the page:
What Lenovo laptops are certified to run Linux?

But NVidia has shown itself recently to be fairly Linux unfriendly and has
been problematic.  I think that it may be OK with proprietary drivers, but
the free ones seem to involve the addition of Bumblebee and a lot of
fiddling.  I don't know whether all current Lenovo laptops have NVidia
graphics.  The certified ones probebly don't.

> The acer is pretty new model, comes out her in 15. Oct. i think...

In general terms, "new hardware" and "Linux" in the same breath rings alarm
bells.  There could be driver problems.

Forgive me for the gaps.  It is late and I need my bed. :-(

Lisi