Re: how to solve broken package

On 2015-09-08 at 05:02, mudongliang wrote:

> On 09/07/2015 11:33 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-07 at 11:15, mudongliang wrote:

>>> If I want to install libproxy1v5, I find apt-get suggests me to remove
>>> all my gnome desktop and tools.
>>> Maybe libproxy1v5 is broken, how can I fix it?
>>> libpstoedit0c2a is the same!
>>
>> What does 'apt-cache policy' show for libproxy-tools, libproxy1v5,
>> and libproxy1?
>>
>> On my system, tracking current testing, I have:

<snip>

>> So libproxy1v5 does not exist as far as my current system knows.
>
> Today , I do dist-upgrade to upgrade libproxy-tools to 0.4.11-4.2
> from 0.4.11-4+b2. I tried to dist-upgrade this package for several
> days,  but failed. I don't know why! My Debian system is
> stretch(testing).
>
> mdl@NjuMdl:~$ apt-cache policy libproxy1v5
> libproxy1v5:
>   Installed: 0.4.11-4.2
>   Candidate: 0.4.11-4.2
>   Version table:
>  *** 0.4.11-4.2 0
>         500 http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> mdl@NjuMdl:~$ apt-cache policy libproxy-tools
> libproxy-tools:
>   Installed: 0.4.11-4.2
>   Candidate: 0.4.11-4.2
>   Version table:
>  *** 0.4.11-4.2 0
>         500 http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

This is almost certainly due to the ongoing GCC5/etc. transition.
Checking the Debian changelog on libproxy1v5 confirms that its current
set of NMUs are related to the libstdc++6 ABI transition.

I did not see the problem on my system because I had not run 'apt-get
update' since the day before the transition began, and libproxy1v5 did
not exist in testing at that point; it was still in sid.

While that transition is ongoing, package dependencies in testing will
not be stable, and you cannot expect to safely upgrade. Experimentation
is fine, and you may well be able to get things working, but the
recommended course AFAIK is to simply avoid upgrading against testing in
the meantime; I would expect it to be unlikely for the problem to last
more than a week or two.

If you do encounter a problem, you can always report it as a bug against
whichever package you think is responsible, but since work to resolve
these issues is going on actively in the background a bug report may not
be all that useful in the end.

--
   The Wanderer