Re: debian 8

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:29:48 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2015 08:07:40 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Sometimes it will also be necessary to remove the backup (RTC/CMOS)
> > battery.  In that case you will likely have to leave the box
> > unpowered (do not reconnect any of the batteries or power) for
> > several hours (try at least 12 hours) AFTER you did the
> > power-button dance above, to actually reset everything.
>
> What has become of the triplet of header pins on the motherboard that
> used to do that. Simply move the flea clip to the other end pair and
> count to 10, put it back where you found it.  In the normal position
> the cmos battery is connected.  In the other position the battery is
> not only disconnected, but the battery input to the cmos is forceably
> grounded, defeating the timing forced on you by any energy storage
> capacitor that may also be present in the circuit.
>
> Do they not put that on the newer motherboards?

I don't know, my newest motherboard is 3-4 years old, and while it is
thankfully not new enough to have UEFI, it does have these pins.
Clearly mentioned in the manual, too.

> IMO no board without that should ever be considered for purchase.
> YMMV of course...

Amen. But the OP's machine is a laptop, and the owner had difficulty
with removing the battery without the user manual. Disregarding whether
or not he should even attempt this at all, it would involve opening his
still-under-warranty machine to such a degree that it would now become
a no-longer-under-warranty machine :)

So whether or not the pins are there is not really that important in
this setting, I would think. But I totally agree with you :)

> In any event, the above certainly generates a sequence of questions
> to be asked of the peddler of any new board one might buy, questions
> that if the sales driod cannot readily answer or quickly find someone
> who does have the answer, would make me look for a peddler who is
> knowledgeable enough to answer with sensible, truthful answers.

I am also a little wary of his statement that it took them two _weeks_
to examine a machine he delivered to them for service. Where I live, a
small place in Norway, the people I use will normally do things within
a few hours. And it's not like they have lots of competition, either.

Maybe I'm just spoiled & lucky, though.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"