Re: Upgrading, was Re: Recommendations for a AMD64 Jessie xfce/kde cd

David Wright wrote:
Quoting Ric Moore (wayward4now@gmail.com):
[...]
To recommend this [upgrading] to a new user, might not be a good
idea. I've been at it since the days of Slackware install via a pile
of floppies. As noted previously, there will be a proper upgrade
installer released when Jessie is officially stable. That would be
far better.

Now this might be a slip of the pen, but what is the "proper upgrade
installer"? Is it different from apt-get dist-upgrade?
[*snip*]

I've upgraded all my machines to jessie or sid (one from squeeze, via
wheezy of course), except for my "server", the one that archives
everything. I find it helps to have two root partitions, one
containing the previous distribution as a fallback. It means you can
jog your memory as to how things were done before, and acts as a
backup of your old configuration.
[snip]

Is your definition of "two root partitions" the same as mine?
I'm new to *nix and have a have a physical machine set aside for "sink or swim" educational experiences.
I use expert install and manual partitioning such that:
   first install would be to sda1 with swap on sda6
   second install would be to sda2 with swap on sda6
   etc etc
This gives be multiple independent installs selectable from grub menu.
[When I run out of space, reformat and repeat.]
Not suitable for all, but it matches my learning style - retirement has advantages :)