Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

On Fri 06 Feb 2015 at 12:05:15 +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 05 2015,Bob Proulx wrote:
>
> > Brian wrote:
>
> [snipped 12 lines]
>
> > Do you have an /etc/apt/preferences file?  Or /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
> > files?  If so what is in it?  Remove it and try the apt-get update and
> > apt-get install again.
>
> No, I don't have any preferences or anything in preferences.d
> directory.  And if I comment out everything except the first wheezy
> main, and try to install rtmp-dev, I get libgnutls-dev broken packages
> error.

It is good that you have provided sufficient information in this thread
to be able to follow in your footsteps as I am now able to reproduce
your problem.

My sources list has the security entry followed by kartolo lines for
wheezy and wheezy-backports. The mirror used for the second two lines is
of no consequence.

I installed emacs24:

   apt-get -t wheezy-backports install emacs24

Then

   apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev

produces exactly the same outcome you describe in your first post.

I never use backports so am not overly familiar with its operation or
how it fits with the rest of the archives. However, this does not look
like something that should happen. If we understood what is happening
we can produce a solution. (Other than purging emacs24 :)).