Re: There is no choice

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:56:10 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> It woun't kill any detractors to try this and help us find what
> breaks, to help us to get a Debian system we can all be proud of
> instead of talking up a storm to complain about things. Experience
> may also allow us to support alternatives where feasible.

Why is it forbidden to do both? I need to use Windows for some
purposes, and occasionally I even correct some of the more out-of-date
FUD about it, but that doesn't mean I think it's great, or that I'm
somehow not allowed to criticise it.

> > Keep in mind they have the freedom to walk off this non-paying gig
> > and to tell us all to go pound sand.

And if too many Debian users decide it's not worth running an imitation
Red Hat, and go for the real thing or an alternative, then the
developers also get to pound sand. There's got to be a *reason* for
Debian to exist, or one day it won't. Debian has been coerced into
swallowing a sizeable chunk of invasive and vitally important software
that was Not Invented Here, and there's no two ways about that. It has
been willing to throw away the non-Linux parts of Debian, because 'not
many people use them'. It need not be proud of that.

> Thanks for the confirmation that someone else got systemd to work

Plenty of people have, or you'd know about it. I've upgraded three Sids
to systemd, and only the biggest and most complex one had troubles, but
they were irritating enough for me to buy another drive and clone it. I
installed systemd on a very minimal Sid, before pouring in the other
4000+ packages, and it seems a lot more stable. But I'm still very wary
of letting systemd near my Wheezy server, and I'm certainly not going to
be an early adopter. Never go near version x.00...

--
Joe