Re: Debian installs for the bandwidth limited (e.g. dialup)

On Tue 01 Apr 2014 at 08:08:40 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> It's not so much that the information isn't recorded, but that it's
> difficult to find. I've flagged over 300 posts and personal emails
> addressing various aspects of installing Debian. They are responses
> not only to my questions but also questions others have asked.
>
> The types of questions that a single document or a coordinated
> documents should cover include { *NOTE* I've already found at least
> partial answers}:
>   How to install with a preseed file
>   A. what parameters might be entered after "TAB to edit menu
> entry".
>   B. Use of F2/F1 keys to enter missing instructions.
>   C. What can be preseeded that isn't mentioned in example
> preseed.cfg .
>      And once you discover that some answers are in template files
> in some udeb,
>      and how to discover the appropriate udeb.
> {My current quandary - how do I disable installing ANT boot loader?}
>   D. Use of meta-packages (custom or not) to install only relevant
> software.
>   E. etc. etc. ...

I think this would be a worthy project and something that you could
consider for the Debian Wiki. There would be a lot of research and
organisation to do on, for example, preseeding but there doesn't
appear to be much there on this topic on a simple level for simple
users.

I'd suggest starting off with something small amd manageable like "How
to preseed the network" or "What preseeding can do for you". I'm unsure
how the Wiki Management (does one exist?) would react to "Adventures in
preseeding".

The hardest thing (after planning the layout and organisation of pages)
would be making a start.