Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

I am reading a lot on LVM, and it seems that I have a small doubt. I
found this on tldp HOWTO on LVM:

> root on LVM requires an initrd image that activates the root LV. If a kernel is upgraded without building the necessary initrd image, that >kernel will be unbootable. Newer distributions support lvm in their mkinitrd scripts as well as their packaged initrd images, so this >becomes less of an issue over time.

I am not able to understand this but will it affect me on debian?

Also while I am on the partitioner page on the debian-installer, there
is one choice like:
"Guided: Use entire disc and setup as LVM"

Now since I am doing a dual boot and windows is already installed, I
feel I cannot use this option
as it will wipe the partition used by windows.

Can I set LVM using some other method?

> ravenclaw# lvextend --size +1G --resizefs /dev/ravenclaw/chroots
>   Extending logical volume chroots to 13.00 GiB
>   Logical volume chroots successfully resized
> resize2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
> Filesystem at /dev/mapper/ravenclaw-chroots is mounted on /srv/chroots; on-line resizing required
> old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 1
> The filesystem on /dev/mapper/ravenclaw-chroots is now 3407872 blocks long.
>
> ravenclaw# df /srv/chroots
> Filesystem                    1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/ravenclaw-chroots  13286512 4632220   7966824  37% /srv/chroots
>
> So you can see the size increased by 1GiB and we didn't even have
> to unmount the filesystem--it all happened online with no
> interruption in service.

Is there a simple gui tool available for the same?