Re: Any reason not to run amd64 these days?

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 10:56 -0600, yaro@marupa.net wrote:
>> You will, especially on this mailing list, get a lot of people who act
>> like running 64-bit if you don't have more than 4 GiB of RAM is some
>> sort of apocalyptic disaster
>
> I "only" have 4 GiB and I used 64-bit architecture with less than 4 GiB
> too. IMO using 64-bit is better than to use 32-bit.

Especially when one considers that 64-bit applications can make use of
full register set of AMD64 (which is 16 instead of 8). This by itself can give
quite a bit of speedup for some applications (like games, media,
{de,}compression). I'm running it w/o any issues on laptop with 2.5GB RAM
available. Granted sometimes I would like to have slightly more RAM (4GB
would be really nice), but on day to day basis I don't have problems with it.

--

darkestkhan
Feel free to CC me.