Re: New to Debian (Gentoo user) - package management

On 2014-01-03 9:18 AM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
emerge --pretend -vuDN world
results in a list of all available updates, as well as any dependencies
that would be installed, which I can then pick and choose from. I
usually wait until newly available updates have been available for at
least a few days before installing them, to avoid nasty surprises.

apt-get -s dist-upgrade

Um... it looks like this actually performs the update?

I want to see what updates would be applied, but NOT apply them yet.

That is what the --pretend flag in gentoo does (actually the short version is 'emerge -pvuDN world')...