To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

Hello everyone,

Running Jessie: 3.11-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.11.10-1 (2013-12-04)
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Toshiba c500/A00L w8 laptop

I have been having no end of problems with my satellite connection over
some months and each new support person wants me to run something
different, get the modem recalibrated with and without a TX attenuator
turn off fire wall and turn it back on again.

Try it with a direct Ethernet cable to modem, try it running through
wireless router to discount router and wi-fi card being a problem.

Nothing ever shows anything in my system or hardware as being a
problem. Then after recalibration it doesn't improve much or at all and
it starts all over again.

Now the latest is that they want me to run Jessie in the same mode as
safe mode in windows to “discount any programs that might be using the
network in the back ground”.

To cut a long story short, the speed tests show up as being
“acceptable” when I use their speed tests.

Doing this first try:

wget www.debian.org
--2014-01-01 11:43:49--  http://www.debian.org/
Resolving www.debian.org (www.debian.org)... failed: Name or service
not known. wget: unable to resolve host address ‘www.debian.org’

Second attempt:

 wget www.debian.org
--2014-01-01 11:45:48--  http://www.debian.org/
Resolving www.debian.org (www.debian.org)... 150.203.164.38,
 2001:388:1034:2900::26 Connecting to www.debian.org
 (www.debian.org)|150.203.164.38|:80... connected. HTTP request sent,
 awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 14513 (14K) [text/html]
Saving to: ‘index.html’

100%[========================================================================>]
14,513      28.5KB/s   in 0.5s

2014-01-01 11:45:57 (28.5 KB/s) - ‘index.html’ saved [14513/14513]

curl http://www.debian.org -w
%{time_connect}:%{time_starttransfer}:%{time_total}:%{size_download}

get:

1.515:2.536:3.041:14513

The above just as an aside, note the first attempt failed because the
internet didn't kick in.

So can someone please tell me how I might do windows safe mode
equivalent? Otherwise I'll have to borrow a windows lappy.

Thanks if anyone can help.
Charlie
    --
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and
	talk well but not too wisely. .......W. Somerset Maugham