Re: can multiarch break my system?

On 01/10/12 03:06 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Hi folks,

I would like to install wine on my pure 64-bit system. Wine is telling me,
that I need to add i386 architecture on it (dpkg --add-architecture).
Of course I need 32-bit libs.

But before I do this, I want to make sure, that under no circumstances, other
libs, that I need for wine (or some other applications which are pure 32-bit)
are installed at the next update / upgrade.

Does apt or aptitude make sure, that only the needed 32-bit-libs are
installed? And if I want wine to deinstall, do I get rid of all 32-bit-libs,
too?

And last, but not least, is there anything I have to pay attention before
installing 32-bit libs of wine (and others), when I want to use multiarch (I
think of setting some priorities or pinnings at apt or aptitude)?

Thanks for any feedback!

Best regards

Hans
If you upgrade to Wheezy, which is quite stable at this point, you can directly install 64-bit Wine packages.