Re: [OT] Imperial measures

On 7 October 2011 08:36, Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 08:03:13 +0100
> Terence <terence.john@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Ash's Dictionary (1775)
>>
>> "Gill (s. from the barbarous Lat. gilla) A liquid measure containing
>> the fourth part of a pint."

> Yes, it's sitting there waiting for you like a reptile in the dark.
> An imperial pint is 600 ml.

Confronting my fears shows them again to be groundless (at the start):

"Pint (s. from the Saxon) A liquid measure, half a quart. Twelve
ounces with physicians."

and:

"Quart (s. from the French) The fourth part of a gallon; the vessel in
which strong beer is generally retailed."

and, to complete the circle:

"Gallon (s. from the low Lat, gelo) A liquid measure of four quarts"

I think I could do with a gallon of strong beer......

Terence